Welcome to the HIST30072 China & the World: Empire to Great Power online Library Resource Guide.
This guide has been designed to support your research for your major essay in this subject and has also been made to complement the face-to-face sessions on how to find primary source resources held in the Baillieu library. While by no means exhaustive, it contains selected resources, both in print and online, that are excellent starting points for research into modern Chinese history.
The guide is broken up into sections:
- Books: covers the print collection on Chinese history in the Baillieu library.
- Chronicles & journals: information on local history, economy, society, politics and culture.
- Online databases: contains links to the key primary and secondary source databases the library subscribes that are relevant to Chinese history.
- Newspaper sources: links to online collections of Chinese and Western newspapers dating back to the mid-18th century. These include both English language and Chinese newspapers.
- Rare books: a selection of rare material held in our Special Collections department. Some real gems here!
- Government documents and Consular/ambassadorial correspondence: points you towards official, government-published material such as parliamentary documents, foreign relations reports, journals, diaries and official dispatches from ambassadors and diplomats to and from China.