EndNote allows you to group references into customised Groups, Group Sets, or Smart Group sections. A maximum of 500 Group Sets per Library is permitted.
Break your research into major Group Sets and customise Groups within these,e.g.
Customise the name for, e.g. Chapter 1, Chapter 2, specific sub topics, or keep groups for separate research papers or topics in a project, e.g. Psyc 486, PHIL 490. The side bar shows All References which is your entire library.
Create a New Group and Add References to it:
1. From the Groups menu select Create Group OR right-click My Groups in the left bar and select Create Group
2. Type the new group name then click <Enter>. e.g. Chapter 1. The new group contains no references yet
3. Click on All References to return to your entire library
4. Select two References by highlighting them. Use your CTRL key if they are side by side, or positioned apart in the list
5. Go to Groups>Add References to>Chapter 1, OR drag and drop the selected References in the new group
1. From the Groups menu select Create Group Set, OR right-click My Groups in the left bar and select Create Group Set
2. Type the new Group Set heading name then <Enter>, e.g. Fish. You cannot add references to a Group Set so create Groups within each Group Set
3. Highlight the Group Set heading then go to Groups> select Create Group, OR right click the Group Set name>select Create Group
4. Name the new Group then <Enter> - the new Group contains no references yet
5. Click on All References to return to your entire library
6. Select two sample References by highlighting them. Use your Command key if they are side by side, or positioned apart in the list
7. Go to Groups>Add References to>Freshwater Fish, OR drag and drop the selected References in the new Group
groups are created to build subsets of references automatically based
on the searches you set up previously. Use the new Search tab in the
lower pane. They are dynamically updated as references are added,
deleted or edited in the library.
1. Select All References. Go to Groups>Create Smart Group.
2. Name the new Smart Group then enter search terms - <Create>
3. Confirm the results then they are automatically saved in the newly named Smart Group for later analysis and reference.