Join us for a series of free events to celebrate reading and literacy.
Registration required for some events
Select the event - to access the booking link
Friday, Aug 10, 2012: Rise and Shine: a breakfast reading with our authors Join us at a breakfast book reading to launch the Library's National Year of Reading program.
*Registration required - Places limited*
Monday, Aug 13, 2012: Graphic Narratives - literature in pictures Award-winning graphic novelist and illustrator Nicki Greenberg will talk about her work and about visual narratives.
*Registration appreciated but not essential*
Monday, Aug 13, 2012 to Friday, Aug 24, 2012: Graphica: graphic novels, comics and visual narrativesAn exhibition of graphic novels at the Giblin Eunson library.
Monday, Aug 13, 2012 to Friday, Aug 24, 2012: Tech ZooLibrary Tech Zoo featuring devices loaded with education apps and library ebooks. Come and play: at the Giblin Eunson Library.
Thursday, Aug 30, 2012: Learning and Sharing - Supporting Indigenous Literacy Children's author Andy Griffiths will talk about the work of the Indigenous Literacy Foundation and MGSE Teacher Candidates Jessica Taylor and Josh Kelly will share their experiences after recent teaching placements at Indigenous communities.
NYR Program Credits
Program coordinator: Appy Laspagis
Events and resources produced by
The University Library - Education Team
Dr Pam Macintyre - Melbourne Graduate School of Education
Leanne Howard - MGSE Research Assistant
Ellen Day - University High School
Tech Zoo provided by Library Emerging Tecnologies Group
National Year of Reading 2012
What is the National Year of Reading 2012?
Australian libraries and library associations are behind a campaign to turn 2012 into the National Year of Reading, linking together all the great things that are already happening around books, reading and literacy, and giving them an extra boost, with inspirational programs and events taking place across the country.
Check out the Events Calendar for more information on events in the community.
Get involved in the National Year of Reading
8 simple ways to celebrate the National Year of Reading
- Read 10 minutes a day - an hour a week
- Restore some of that work-life balance by taking a break with a book at lunchtime
- Get together with friends to read and talk about your favourite books
- Participate in The Reading Hour 25th August 2012
- Read one of the 8 books from the the National Year of Reading’s 2012 Book Collection.
- Check out the Junior Fiction and Picture Book Collections at the Giblin Eunson Library
- Join the Rowden White recreational library, on the 2nd floor of Union House.
- Celebrate Indigenous Literacy Day 5 September 2012
NYR on Twitter
Launch Event :: Rise and Shine: a breakfast reading with our authors
Friday 10th August 2012.
Join us for breakfast and readings from some of our favourite authors to launch our National Year of Reading program.
Our invited authors:
- Paul. D.Carter, MGSE Teach for Australia Associate and winner of the 2012 Australian Vogel Literary Award.
- Professor Kevin Brophy, Lecturer in creative writing, School of Culture and Communications, poet and novelist.
- Monica Raszewski, Liaison Librarian, Baillieu Library and winner of The R.E. Ross Trust Playwrights Script Development Award 2012.
- Peta Freestone, Senior Programs Officer (Transition) at MSGR, PhD candidate, author and editor.
To be opened by Professor Field Rickards, Dean of the Melbourne Graduate School of Education. *Places limited*