Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
To access search options that give you more control over your search:
Click the Search Options link under the search box.
Choose a search mode such as:
- to use Boolean operators like AND, OR
- Find all my search terms:
- Will return results where all your search terms were found.
- Find any of my search terms.
- Will return results where any of your search terms were found.
- SmartText Searching
- Enter as much text for your search as you want - a phrase, a sentence, paragraph, or even whole pages. (Only in EBSCO databases)
Click the blue icon next to 'Search Modes' for more information.
More on search modes
Use the limits to control where the search looks:
- Full text
- Finds items only available in full-text online.
- Catalogue only
- Finds items from the library catalogue.
- Scholarly (Peer Reviewed) Journals
- This limits results to only those items which are published in peer reviewed sources.
- Publication Date
- This limits results to items published within a specific date range.
Click the Advanced Search link under the search box
This allows you to enter your search terms in the three search box, one concept per row.
- Type in the OR operator to search for similar terms.
- Use the menu to the left of a search box to link the boxes using Boolean operators AND, OR and NOT.
- Use the drop-down menu to the right of a search box to choose which field to search in, such as:
- Journal title
More on using Advanced Search
Search Tips: Boolean Operators
Choose the Boolean/Phrase search mode or use the Advanced Search to use Boolean Operators.
Use AND to narrow your search
bicycles AND Australia
Use OR to broaden your search
bicycles OR bikes OR trikes
Use NOT to exclude terms
education not technology
More search tips