The Education Gazette and Teachers’ Aid began in July 1900 and was edited by Charles Long in its beginnings. It acted as a notice board where the Education Department could give notice to teachers about vacancies, rules and regulations, and communicate important issues. Teachers could stay up to date with new curriculum and pedagogy developments for their subjects, which included teaching materials, text books, and other tools for their subjects. Copies were sent out free of charge to schools.
The Education Gazette, South Australia consists of 96 volumes published between 1885 and 1980. Between 1893 and 1959, the January issue contained an official list of schools and their staff. This list was issued as supplement to the June 1960 and the May 1961 issues. Between 1962 and 1970 it was published as a separate title “Official list of schools”. These lists included average attendance, numbers of students examined and teachers (their position, personal classification and salary allowances). Notices about teacher appointments, promotions, births of children, deaths, marriages, retirements and resignations were occasionally published. Examination results, recipients of scholarships and bursaries as well as exhibitions were made public via the gazettes, for teachers and parents.
Education Gazettes were monthly papers issued by the Education Departments. An important source of information for researchers. The department used it as a key tool to disseminate policy rules and regulations and curriculum directives across to teachers in metropolitan and rural schools.