1. From the Readings Online page in the LMS subject, click on the Add drop down menu and click on the New journal reading option.
Figure 1 - Adding a Print Journal Article to Readings Online
2. Follow steps in figure 3 & 4 outlined above in Adding an electronic journal article using the RIS or RefMan file to enter the information for, Required Reading and notes for Library and students.
3. Enter the citation information for the journal article, ensuring that all required fields (marked with a red asterisk) are complete. The citation details can be cut and paste from the reading list or the LMS where possible. Ensure that all the fields are filled out correctly, following the Metadata standards for journal readings guide.
Figure 2 - Entering the Citation Information for a Journal Article
4. Upload either a pdf of the article or a link to the article (if it was not possible to upload an RIS file)
i. Under Kind click on File
ii. Click on Select the PDF file of the reading from your computer
i. Under Kind click on Link
ii. Paste the stable or permanent link into the dialogue box
Figure 3 - Manually entering a link to a Journal Article
5. Review the data entered to make sure there are no errors or spelling mistakes before clicking on ‘Submit’
6. On the Readings Online home page, a green banner should appear advising that the request has been received and will be reviewed. The new article should appear in the ‘Ungrouped readings’ section of the screen at the bottom of the list.
If the article does not appear click Refresh to view an updated screen.
The article will be labelled ‘Submitted” as the pdf will need to be reviewed for copyright compliance before the reading can become available to students. The article should be available within 24 hours.
Figure 4 - Journal Article has been submitted to be reviewed
7. Once the article has been approved, test the link to ensure that the journal article will open correctly.
8. Click on the journal article title to view the full citation and check that the citation is correct.