1. Go to the Library catalogue http://cat.lib.unimelb.edu.au/ and search for the book by title.
Figure 1 - Search the Library Catalogue for a Book
2. Select the correct book title from the search results list by matching bibliographic details, such as publication year and edition.
Figure 2 - Select the required title from the search results
3. Check to see if the book is available as an ebook – identifiable by the Internet Resource icon.
4. Click on the title and then click on Connect to ebook to access the ebook’s homepage. You may be asked to log in using your University username and password.
Figure 3 - Connect to Ebook
5. From the ebook’s homepage, check for a pdf link (its location will vary depending on the publisher or database but it should be located near the top of the page and the citation information.) Click on the link to make sure it works and that the pdf is available.
Depending on the publisher or database, it may be possible to link to either the whole book or a single chapter. Some databases may also allow the citation for either the book or the chapter to be downloaded as a RIS file that can be uploaded to Readings Online. If not, a copy of the link can be cut and paste into Readings Online once a record has been manually uploaded.
6. Check to see if there is an option to save or export the citation and save a copy of the citation information including the link to the pdf. This will vary depending on the ebook publisher and/or database but is usually denoted by a ‘View or Save citation option’ or an ‘Export’ option.
Generally, to save a citation for the whole book, the option will be located on the main book page. For a chapter of a book, the option to save the citation will be located with the chapter information.
If there is no option to save the citation and export it as a RIS file, copy the link to either the whole book or chapter so that it can added to a record for the book/chapter on Readings Online which will be created later (See Adding the Book or Chapter to Readings Online manually). Paste the link into a word document and save it for safekeeping.
Figure 4 - Viewing the ebook and download citation for the whole book
Figure 5 - Viewing an ebook chapter and download a citation for that chapter
7. Save or export the citation as a RIS file or a Reference Manager (RefMan) file. The file will usually save in your Downloads folder. If you wish to save the folder to another file location, select another folder to save the file to.
Figure 6 - Downloading a ris file from a whole book
Figure 7 - Downloading a ris file from a book chapter