1. Login to the LMS - http://www.lms.unimelb.edu.au/ - and open your subject page and then click on the link for Readings Online.
2. Click on the Add button from the drop down menu and click on the Readings from file option.
Figure 1 - Adding a RIS file to Readings Online
3. Click on the ‘Select a file’ and navigate to the location where you saved the RIS file. This is usually your Downloads folder. Select the file and click Open. The file should now appear in the field.
Figure 2 - Selecting a ris file to be uploaded
4. Click Yes if a reading is required or No if it is not. Include any notes for students in For Students. Notes for the Readings Online team can be included in For Library. Then click Submit.
A system generated email will be sent to you once the RIS file has been submitted to let you know it has been uploaded successfully. This email can be deleted once received.
Figure 3 - Flagging as Required reading and Adding Notes
5. On the Readings Online home page, click Refresh and the new article will appear in the ‘Ungrouped readings’ section of the screen, with the newest articles listed last.
Figure 4- Journal Article link added to Readings List
6. Test the link to ensure that the journal article is directing users to the full-text content correctly by clicking on the globe icon. Depending on the database the article may only link to the abstract. You will need to ensure the link is directing them to the full text of the article.
Figure 5- View the reading for review
7. Click on the journal article title to view the full citation and check that the citation is correct.
Figure 6- Full citation for a Journal Article