You may wish to download a copy of material from a website and upload it to Readings Online, for example if the content on the website is dynamic and likely to change. However, copyright applies when material is downloaded from a website and you will need to abide by those limitations. Readings Online staff will review the content for copyright compliance.
1. Follow steps 1-2 from Adding a Link to a Website
2. Enter the citation information for the website, ensuring that all required fields (marked with a red asterisk) are complete. The citation details can be cut and paste. Ensure that all the fields are filled out correctly, following the Metadata guidelines for website readings guide
Figure 1 - Uploading a Copy of Content from a Website
3. To upload the file – Under Kind click on File and then Click on Select a File. Do not use the Locate option as there will be no reading available for students to access and this reading will be rejected by Readings Online staff.
4. Review the data entered to make sure there are no errors or spelling mistakes before clicking on Submit
5. On the Readings Online home page, a green banner should appear advising that the request has been received and will be reviewed. The new reading should appear in the ‘Ungrouped readings’ section of the screen at the bottom of the list.
Figure 2 - Website Content Submitted to the Reading List
If the reading does not appear click Refresh (or press F5) to view an updated screen.
The reading will be labelled ‘Submitted” as the file will need to be reviewed for copyright compliance before the reading can become available to students. Once the reading has been approved, usually within 24 hours, test the link to the file to ensure that the link is directing users to the full-text content correctly by clicking on the arrow icon (which will appear once the reading has been approved).
6. Click on the title to view the full citation and check that the citation is correct
Figure 3 - Citation for Content from Website Uploaded to Readings Online