This guide shows you how to find Masters and PhD theses, online and in print, from:
If you are currently writing a thesis (Honours, Masters or PhD) you may want to:
Most recent theses are available through Minerva Access, the University's institutional repository.
Minerva includes PhD and Masters Research theses, as well as a smaller number of Honours and Masters Coursework theses.
Use the login link and access with your unimelb username and password
These theses have been embargoed and there is currently no full-text available
You will be able to view an abstract only
1. Select the Communities and Collections link from the Browse menu in the right column
2. Click on the + button next to Minerva Access to see a menu of faculties
3. Choose your faculty from the list
4. There may be further options to refine by School or discipline. Use the plus (+) buttons to see more options.
5. Select the link for Theses
6. To further refine the list, (for example, to just PhD theses) scroll down to use the Type menu on the far right menu bar.
University of Melbourne theses not available online are held in the Cultural Collections Reading Room on level 3 of the Baillieu Library, or in offsite storage. While you cannot physically browse the thesis collection, you can submit a request to view a thesis using the online form.
You can search the Library Catalogue to find our print collection of University of Melbourne theses
For more information on requesting to view print theses see the Special Collections website.
Australian theses from other universities can be found via Trove.
1. Select Advanced search on the Trove homepage, and choose Research and reports
2. Type your search terms into the first box (Keyword search box)
3. Check the box next to Australian content
4. Click the green Search button
5. On the results page, select the Show more option under Format
6. Select Thesis to limit your results to theses
7. To access, check the purple link at the bottom of each record. Theses available online will either:
8. Click on the title of the thesis to view the record, and select the Read button to access the full text
These are the top four international theses databases that include full-text: